PUEBLO – Big R, the largest farm, ranch, and retail chain in Colorado will expand its distribution warehouse and facilities in Pueblo, CO. Big R, founded in 1962 in the towns of Lamar and La Junta, began as a small family owned and operated business. From the inception, Big R has been the dominant farm, ranch, and home retail chain in the Arkansas Valley of Colorado. Big R has grown from 25 employees to 600 employees with 25 stores. Big R’s distribution warehouse and facilities in Pueblo currently employ 70 employees.
Big R made the announcement at 4:00 p.m. on Monday, November 28, 2016. Details of the project include:
- Approximately $11.0 million in capital investment
- 33 new full-time jobs to be in place by January 1, 2020.
- Average wage of $64,315 including benefits.
- $1,494,000 from the City of Pueblo’s half-cent fund for economic development (contingent on approval from the Pueblo City Council)
- $6,856,000 loan from the City of Pueblo’s half-cent fund for economic development (contingent on approval from the Pueblo City Council) payable with interest over 10 years.
“We are honored to have great support from our customers and the Pueblo community, this support has enabled us the ability to continue to grow our business and we are very thankful for it.” said Adam Carroll, of Big R Holdings Inc., ”The City of Pueblo, PEDCO, City Council and Pueblo Development Fund (PDF) have been instrumental in several pieces of our growth over the last 7 years and continue to help with our growth over the next many years to come.”
“Big R is a success story that we are proud and honored to work with,” said Jeffrey C. Shaw, President/ CEO of PEDCO. “Big R continues to prosper and it is great to see them expand and employee so many of our great citizens of Pueblo.”
“As a community, we must have found a formula for success with a great workforce and incentives to not only attract Big R here, but again assisting in this major expansion,” said Ron Francis, PEDCO Chairman of the Board. “The great thing about expansion is that you know the company and their role within the community; Big R is a wonderful community partner.”