For immediate release – Monday, January 25, 2021 – 11:00 MST
WHO WE ARE – The Pueblo Business Economic Recovery Team (“BERT”) is comprised of the following organizations: The Greater Pueblo Chamber of Commerce, The Latino Chamber of Commerce, Pueblo West Chamber of Commerce, Greenhorn Valley Chamber of Commerce, City of Pueblo, Pueblo County, Pueblo West Metropolitan District, Pueblo Economic Development Corp (PEDCO) Pueblo Urban Renewal Authority, Southern Colorado Small Business Development Center, Pueblo Workforce Center, Southern Colorado Community Lending, Pueblo Downtown Association, Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office, Pueblo Community College, Colorado State University – Pueblo, Pueblo City School District 60, Pueblo County School District 70, Black Hills Energy, Xcel Energy, Pueblo Plex.
WHAT WE HAVE BEEN DOING – BERT spent the last 6 month of 2020 working on a plan that would not only help Pueblo recover from the COVID-19 pandemic, but would take Pueblo to an even higher level of economic prosperity had the COVID-19 pandemic not happened. We call this the “One Pueblo” plan.
VISION FOR PUEBLO – “Pueblo County is a dynamic and forward-thinking community of choice within Colorado that offers unparalleled opportunity for economic prosperity to each of its residents.”
GOALS/TEAMS (Last page defines the proposed
Vision Alignment- Continue to facilitate alignment among stakeholders and partners to achieve the One Pueblo shared vision of growth and prosperity.
Talent Pipeline Optimization – Align and optimize regional workforce programming and skill output with targeted industry needs and jobs of the future
Foundational Community Elements – Support the development of community elements and infrastructure that help to empower residents to achieve economic opportunity and achievement.
Targeted Industry Development – Help existing businesses grow and attract new industries, particularly those that are innovative and emerging.
Community Positioning – Position the Pueblo region as an innovative, forward thinking place of choice for both business and talent
3 Pillars of focus to accomplish the 5 goals
PILLAR #1: ALIGNMENT/REGIONALISM
Area of Focus: Roles and Responsibilities
• Strategy 1: Share and confirm the developed vision and goals with community members and stakeholders and update them regularly on the progress of the strategic plan.
• Strategy 2: Determine roles of each partner organization in implementation of the economic development strategic plan.
• Strategy 3: Ensure that policies promote and facilitate activities that achieves the shared regional vision for economic sustainability, growth and development.
• Strategy 4: Establish a clear communication protocol for prospects and businesses.
Area of Focus: Partnership Building
• Strategy 1: Strengthen relationships with existing industry base and build relationships with its major suppliers.
• Strategy 2: Maintain and deepen existing partnerships to enhance and cultivate further collaboration.
PILLAR #2: READINESS
Area of Focus: Product Readiness
• Strategy 1: Maintain an inventory of all sites and buildings available, working with relevant stakeholders to ensure information is up-to-date.
• Strategy 2: Prioritize sites and buildings based on priority projects and best business case.
• Strategy 3: Understand and develop the product pipeline.
• Strategy 4: Identify and develop key assets needed for targeted industries.
Area of Focus: Talent Readiness
• Strategy 1: Facilitate coordination between the supply and demand sides of talent and determine how to address gaps.
• Strategy 2: Educate students, parents and guidance counselors on the opportunities
available at companies in Pueblo County.
Area of Focus: Community Readiness
• Strategy 1: Support and facilitate placemaking efforts within the communities of Pueblo County.
• Strategy 2: Determine the feasibility of developing new quality of life amenities within Pueblo County.
· Strategy 3: Work with communities and other partners to identify and define current housing stock, as well as determine future housing needs
Area of Focus: Innovation Readiness
• Strategy 1: Identify and define current resources available for start-ups and address any gaps.
• Strategy 2: Cultivate the innovation economy within Pueblo County.
PILLAR #3: MARKETING/DIFFERENTIATION
Area of Focus: Advocacy
· Strategy 1: Promote a unified message that communicates the positive economic and community development news in the region.
· Strategy 2: Advocate at a state and national level for the interests of Pueblo County.
Area of Focus: Marketing and Messaging
• Strategy 1: Review all existing marketing tools, including website and print and digital marketing collaterals, and, as needed, revise them to ensure messaging and positioning resonates with Pueblo County’s target audiences.
• Strategy 2: Research, plan and execute relationship marketing strategies with decision makers.
• Strategy 3: Identify companies for recruitment within the recommended target industries.
HOW WILL WE MEASURE SUCCESS – One Pueblo – Economic Development Dashboard
Sites identified and prioritized for development
Business retention and expansion interviews/surveys completed
Number of leads from existing businesses
Number of expansion/growth projects worked on with existing businesses
Number of leads from new businesses
Number/percent of leads turned to prospects
Number/percent of prospects turned to projects
Number of site location projects completed
Jobs created and/or retained
Total Working Age Population
Percent of population in labor force
Median Household Wages
Growth in targeted industries